|Home > SPHS Programs & Services > Providence Behavioral Health Hospital is Mercy Medical Center's Holyoke campus > Older Adult Psychiatric Unit
|Older Adult Psychiatric Unit
1233 Main Street, Holyoke, MA 01040
Clinical Assessment Center 800-274-7724
|Treatment for the mental health challenges of aging
Growing older is both a blessing and a challenge. The blessings are endless and the challenges are unique. Do you or someone you care about:
We can help
- Find yourself more irritable and angry than usual? Feel more worried or fearful than usual?
- Feel that life is not worth living anymore? That this is the last straw?
- Find no pleasure in things you used to enjoy? Feel that even doing the little things are just too much?
- Find yourself less able to cope with life’s stressors?
- Find yourself more forgetful? Confused? Get lost in familiar places? Worry about Alzheimer’s Disease?
- Find yourself taking more medication than usual or drinking more alcohol than usual?
- See or hear things that you know are not there? Have thoughts that frighten you?
Are you part of the ‘sandwich generation’ wondering how you can do it all? As a caregiver, family member, neighbor or friend of an older adult, do you:
- Want to keep mom at home but cannot manage her difficult behaviors?
- Worry that dad is unsafe driving and living alone?
- Disagree with your siblings or parent about care needs?
- Get calls from the nursing home that your husband’s behavior cannot be controlled?
- Wonder if the medication she is taking is really helping?
|We can help
The Older Adult Unit is 16 bed short stay, secure in-patient psychiatric program for people over the age of 60. We are the only dedicated geriatric psychiatry unit in Western Massachusetts. Our specially trained treatment team includes geriatric psychiatrists, nursing staff, social workers, mental health counselors, occupational therapists, physician’s assistants and pastoral care staff. We provide comprehensive assessment, medication evaluation, treatment, help with discharge planning as well as family education and support.
For more information please call: Karen Harper, LCSW at 413-493-2763.
- Patients come to the Older Adult Psychiatric Unit from Skilled Nursing and Rehabilitation Facilities, Assisted Living Settings, Rest Homes and the Community.
- The average length of hospital stay is 10-14 days
- Payment for hospitalization is covered by Medicare, Medicaid and most other insurance plans
TO MAKE A REFERRAL TO THE OLDER ADULT UNIT PLEASE CALL 1-800-274-7724.
|For more information please feel free to contact us.||