Mercy Medical Centers Blood Donor Program
Donating Blood: The Donation Process
HEALTH CHECK (performed by a trained staff member)
- A mini physical will be performed in one of our private interview rooms which include temperature, blood pressure, pulse and Hemoglobin (iron) level.
- Staff will then perform a quick overview of your questionnaire to make sure everything is complete.
- You will relax in a comfortable reclining chair.
- A trained staff member will place a blood pressure cuff on your arm and clean an area of your arm.
- A needle will then be inserted into a vein and for the next 5-10 minutes you will relax while your donation is collected.
- When 450 ml (a pint) of blood is collected, the needle will be removed. The staff will then hold pressure on your arm and then place a bandage over the collection site.
You will leave the donation center feeling great knowing you helped save up to three lives.
- After your donation you will relax for about 5-10 minutes and be served some water or juice with a snack. This will help your body adjust to your donation before continuing on with your daily routine.
- We will explain post donation instructions to you. You will also receive a set of instructions for your post donation care to take home with you and a number to reach us if any questions arise.
ITS IN YOUR HEART TO GIVE BLOOD! BE A HERO!